Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sportsman

(picture from soccernet.com)

Well, you can run on the floor with the ball and shun all the defenders. You can block every shot that comes towards you. You can score 1000 over goals. However, if you don't have sportsmanship, you fail as a sportsman.

Was browsing through soccernet and read Michael Owen not being recognised for the England team; Fabio Capello's intention. Well, I'm in no position to criticise or tell him what to do, but I do think he's putting a gem, a potential goal seeker on the sideline! Obviously that renowned 'england' coach hasn't tasted owen-flavour like how Ferguson is enjoying now. No doubt he's getting on his age, he's still rather fast, still playing well and most importantly scoring!

This could just spell another wave of criticism if England loses another chance. Sighs.

Coming back to owen. I've always like him in his Liverpool days, always hoping he could put on the red "Vodafone" sponsored jersey and playing alongside Scholes and Beckham then. Didn't happened. Still, ferguson has made me realise this wish! Really happy for Owen.

Despite the fact he wasn't chosen for the english team, which I think he deserves a spot more than some, he did not complain! Respect man... Allow me to quote 2 of his lines which makes me sing praises for him.

"I haven't resigned myself to never playing for England again," he told the Daily Mirror, "but I'm not stupid enough to get myself worked up before every squad is announced and then go, 'Oh no, the world's caved in and I'm not in it again' "

"Everyone wants to play, but you'll never see me throw my toys out of the pram or knock on the manager's door."
Good response from him.

Now, let's watch some of his contributions to Man-U last year!


No comments: